Julie's Jacobean Jacket

Jacket from the early 1600s....A quick and dirty 1 month project.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

By Jove, I Think I've Got It!

This weekend, I had only one day to sew, since the rest of the weekend was devoted to house cleansing, dog bathing, and dinner partying. I probably could've made better use of my one day, since I spent forever goofing off, but at least the end of Sunday left me with a workable jacket pattern. I had a revelation about fitting sleeves to armscythes, and that pleases me to no end!

Here are some pics of the initial fitting. I've sinced altered the pattern to make the sleeves more roomy (they are SKIN TIGHT in this pic--ugh). I also widened the armscythe (hopefully it'll make that underarm pucker go away), and I adjusted the front edges to allow seams/better fit. I haven't actually tested the altered pattern, but I'm confident that it'll be fine (famous last words...), so I'm gonna move onto the real jacket fabric. Um, after I finish prewashing it--its so annoying to be ready to sew and THEN realize you've forgotten the prewash. Pout.

Anyway, here is the pre-altered pattern in some scrap fabric I had:


jacket front


jacket back

I am undecided about two things:
1) Should I make those waisty gores smaller? They seems to be sticking out quite a lot, and I'm not sure that's the right look?
2) Should I make the entire jacket a little longer? Keep in mind that these pictures have a raw edge, so that'll be shortened further by the amt of the seam allowance...so, will shorter look okay, or should I try to keep it about the length it looks in these pics, or should i go for even longer?

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Wow. That's really pretty. I think the mockup would make a nice jacket for real-world wear. Ok, so with regard to your two questions (take with as much salt as desired).

1. I like the fit of the gores int the back, but I think I might narrow them just a bit in the front. It's pretty the way it is, but I think it's supposed to hug your contour a bit more? It looks like you have quite a bit of leeway without danger of not fitting, so I'd try it

2. Maybe a bit, yeah. I think just adding an inch to the bottom might look nice. And then of course if you hate it, snip snip!

Way to go!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Gorgeous!
I agree with Beth: cut down the front gores a bit, and add a little bit of lenght.
I love the fabic.. none of my scrap fabric is that nice :P

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home